Man, this week has been kind of a shitshow on the weight loss/triathlon training adventure. I missed my workouts Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Today, I went to the pool, but only because my coworker was meeting me there (for which I am so, so grateful!), but I got there late and was only able to do 1400 meters out of the 2400 yards that were on my program before I had to leave for work.
On the plus side, even though I was at the pool with all the SRS BSNS athletes, I managed to overcome my self-consciousness and do flip turns most of the time. My OTHER coworker, who used to be a competitive swimmer, taught me last week. My flip turns are pretty sloppy and I’m sure quite entertaining to watch, but I am doing a somersault at the end of the lane and a few seconds later I am swimming in the other direction, so… win?
I am considering another mini-challenge on this blog where I report in every day, but just about my training. I REALLY want to form the habit of doing all of my weekday workouts before work. The reasons for this are sixfold:
- Snooze-sleep is not good sleep anyway, and that’s what I currently do between 5am (when I intend to get up and exercise) and 6:30am (when I actually have to get up and start getting ready)
- Very little can interfere with pre-work plans, but things can and often do come up in the evenings (having to work late, social plans, errands to run, just plain tired, etc.)
- The things I want to do are always available in the mornings (pools are open, running outside isn’t as hot, it’s not too dark to bike safely)
- Training after work means having to find motivation and get-up-and-go… TWICE. I have to do it in the morning anyway to start the day, but having to do it AGAIN after work increases my chances of flaking on myself dramatically
- I feel good and have more energy throughout the day when I exercise in the morning
- It would mean no stupid calorie checkbook projections! When I plan to work out in the evening, I’ll often pre-enter my planned exercise into MyFitnessPal to see how many calories I have available for snacks, dinner, etc. Guess what often happens? I’ll eat the calories, but not do the workout. Fail.
So, I think I’ll try that, starting next week. Til then, everyone!